Hello, Bold Achievers! It's time to take control of your career and make a statement with your resume and cover letter. At 2B Bolder, we believe in empowering you to reach your full potential, and that starts with standing out in the job market. After receiving many questions on this topic, here's our guide to help you shine.
How Can I Make My Resume Stand Out?
What keywords should I Include in my resume?
The job market is tough, but we know that being specific and intentional is key. Identify the keywords in the job description that resonate with your skills and experiences. These are the words that will catch the eye of hiring managers and Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS). Be bold and strategic with your word choices!
How Long Should My Resume Be?
Brevity is the soul of wit, and it's also the essence of a powerful resume. If you're early in your career, aim for one page. If you have more to share, two pages can work. The goal is to be concise yet impactful.
Should I Tailor My Resume for Each Job Application?
Even though it's a hassle, this effort is required. We believe in the power of personalization. Tailor your resume to each position to show that you've done your homework and that you're genuinely interested in the role. It's a bold move that pays off! And if you spend a little time with Chat GPT, you can have it do some of the heavy lifting.
What Should I Include in My Cover Letter?
Addressing the Hiring Manager?
Sometimes, being bold means navigating uncertainty. If you can't find the hiring manager's name, use a respectful salutation like "Dear Hiring Manager." If you want to go the extra mile, do some research to find the name. It's a bold touch that can make a difference!
Information to Highlight
Your cover letter is your chance to tell your story. Start with an engaging introduction, highlight your most relevant experiences, and conclude with a strong statement of why you're the perfect fit. Be authentic, be passionate, and be bold!
At 2B Bolder, we're all about empowering you to take control of your destiny. Crafting a standout resume and cover letter is a vital step in that journey. By focusing on relevant keywords, maintaining a concise length, tailoring your documents, and infusing them with your unique voice, you'll be well on your way to success. Here are some examples of popular resume styles:
1. Chronological Resume: This is the most traditional format, listing work experience in reverse chronological order (most recent job first).
2. Functional Resume: Focuses on skills and experience rather than job history. It's useful for people who have gaps in their employment history or are changing careers.
3. Combination/Hybrid Resume: Combines elements of both the chronological and functional formats. It highlights skills and qualifications but also lists employment history.
4. Targeted Resume: Customized to a specific job, highlighting qualifications and experiences relevant to that position.
5. Infographic Resume: Uses graphics and visual elements to represent information. It's more visually engaging but may not be suitable for all industries.
6. Video Resume: A short video introduction or pitch about oneself. It's becoming more popular in creative fields.
7. LinkedIn Resume: Many professionals use their LinkedIn profiles as a form of resume, ensuring it's detailed and up-to-date.
For actual examples, you can visit websites like:
- Resume Genius: Offers a variety of resume templates and examples.
- The Muse: Provides career advice and resume samples.
- Indeed: Has a resume guide section with various samples.
Remember, being bold is about more than just standing out; it's about showing the world who you are and what you can achieve.
Stay Bold, Mary Killelea, Founder, 2B Bolder 🚀
If you're looking for more inspiration, listen to one of the many podcast interviews with INCREDIBLE women sharing their career stories and unique perspectives on how they define success and have overcome challenges unique to women.
Read profiles of our featured women in business and in tech who share their career insights and advice.
Sign up for the 2B Bolder newsletter & stay connected and see what's new.